BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, April 16, 2009

Summer

Everyone likes to ask the generic questions depending on where you are in stage of life. (i.e. "How's it going? What post-secondary institution are you going to? What do you want to be?" etc. I'm also guilty of this crime. People like to be measured by what they DO. Not who they are.) But anyway, the big question now, is... what are you doing this summer

And well... I don't know. All plans fell through.

At first, I wasn't too scared. But now I feel like I'm going to be kicked in the testicles. (Minus the fact that I don't have testicles. But I'm sure it's pretty painful. I've never even seen a naked man before, I've come very close though, but that's beside the point.) Like, this sick, foreboding feeling that I'm not sure what to do with that's taking residence in the pit of my stomach.

But, there's a few things I'd like to do that I suddenly now am able to do:

* Write down a really good story (It's actually why I went to University, so I could get ideas for this story)
* Using the soundboard of my old upright piano, build a hammered dulcimer. It'd be cool if my dad helped me with this.
* Learn Hungarian Rhapsody no. 2 by Franz Liszt and surprise my piano teacher. I miss him sorely
* Paint my room
* Go to Mass with Liam Hill
* Play piano for weddings (This'll be my income)
* Hike parts of the Bruce Trail
* Visit Dave Young at his yurt.
* Bike to Walkerton and get a smoothie from the White Rose
* Go to the Drive-in with Kelsey Gass (because she's never been) and other good friends.
* Continue to hunt for Thin Places. There are two in Hanover.
* Go to a crazy hippie event with Becca Bishop. I'm scared of the naked men, however.
* Learn jazz piano and play with Lady Aubergine
* Take Elysha and Kathleen to the White Rose.
* Crazy road trip with good friends, to relive last year's tradition.
* Spend a week in solitude.

And whatever God wants me to do. This could be very good; I feel like I'm on the fringe of something. But it's still kind of scary. Maybe I could do something very big, very selfless, and very worthwhile this summer. I hope so. In the Bible, there's this neat verse in Hebrews 11:1 that goes, "Faith is being sure of what you don't know; certain of what you don't see." And as terrifying as it feels, I've been taken care of before, and I think it's going to be fine, and that something big will happen. I can't wait to see what.

Oh! Funny story. In Africa, Mat and I were paired up to do a talk at the Church Planter's Convention about that exact verse in Hebrews. Well, the topic was "The Nature of Living Faith." And we had a week. I got all my stuff together, talked to Pastor Jacob Hiagbe many times, and felt good about my part. Every time I asked Mat about his part, he had nothing at all, and he would say something about "needing exactly eight hours to prepare" or something like that. The night before, he still had nothing. So I said that I will stay up with him until he finished. But it got late out, and he got tired, and started making comments about kicking me in the face, and then started folding underwear. So we got nowhere. The next morning, on the van ride down to Accra, suddenly, he looked at me, and was like, "Hey Jessie. I think I get it." And he had this fantastic realization about faith, and about Hebrews 11:1. Right on time. It was amusing in a frustrating way on my part, but nonetheless, pretty darn cool.

Okay. I go to bed now.

2 comments:

becca.moon said...

hehehe... I love you Jessie.

i recently changed my facebook status to:

Rebecca is a human being, not a human doing!

how appropriate.

I love your comment about being scared of the naked men. You could overcome two of your biggest fears this summer: penises and testicles! ahahahah... you said it first.

my last exam is today, then i'm off to ottawa for lovin'. yeaaah!

LOVE YOU SWEET PEA!!!!!!!!!!

Jessie said...

hehe, I love that! It reflects how I'm feeling, especially about the summer now.

When is this crazy hippie thing, anyway?

And apparently... the plural for penis is... penee? (Pee-nee?) That's how it's pronounced.

I learned about this from a friend who is in a nursing program... while over dinner at Bible College!

Have fun in Ottawa!