BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Saturday, March 13, 2010

Lent, and the job fair


Lent is halfway over, now. Over halfway over, as of yesterday. I have never kept count of Lent, or counted down the days. One of the things I've been learning in school, and in life, is that the order of things is of utmost importance, and maintaining awareness of that inherent and intrinsic order. Oi, that makes no sense. I was explaining it to Becca the other day. Right now, the world is sleeping, and beginning it's wake up from being frozen and sleeping into welcoming spring once again. It's also Lent right now, so it's a time of anticipation, and fasting, and awaiting. Out of the darkness and into the light. That is what the world is in right now, and that's how I feel right now. I only gave up Facebook for Lent, yet I feel like I'm anticipating something bigger. I've never been so excited for Easter. Lent has never been so slow, and trying, and Facebook is not the difficult part. Weird thing is, I really don't know what is going on...

I did something monumentally stupid the other day. At least, depending on how one looks at it, it's either stupid, or hilarious. I'm not troubled about it, looking back. I went to a job fair at The Aud. I was hanging out with Isaiah in the morning, then I got dropped off there. There was a forty minute long lineup of people who all... looked the same. They all were wearing suits, and had briefcases, and were clutching resumes. I had this suitjacket/hoody thinger that Angela gave me (that I REALLY like) on, and my tye-dye bag from Ghana, and my camera bag. I looked twenty years younger than everyone else, (because I AM...) and very much out of place, and out of league. I only had three resumes on hand because my printer ran out of paper and I needed to conserve the next few pages I have to print off an essay. It was really cold out, not to mention, and I have no body heat, so I just freeze. So, being cold, feeling like I am not in the right place, not to mention standing in a line... (I do believe, especially from seeing lineups at Tim Horton's, that lineups are a symbol of bureaucracy, and the dehumanizing effect of "the system." I can pull out my notes from RS 121: Evil class I took last year to prove that my profs also believe that bureaucracy is evil. Since lineups symbolize bureaucracy, let's jump and say lineups = bureaucracy. Bureaucracy = evil, igitur lineups = evil.) (I'm just saying igitur... because it's the only word I remember from Latin 101. It means "therefore." Wait. I remember Sapientia. That mean's "wisdom")

So, the prospect of standing for forty minutes in the cold in a place where I did not feel I belonged, and I also believed to be evil (in a way like how scorpions and mantis shrimp are evil, y'know? I use those two terrible creatures because I've personally seen how evil they can be. But those are other stories to tell)... was no longer appealing. So I pulled out my camera, strolled into the building, and pretended I was the hired photographer for the event. That is... until the actual photographer for the event showed up, and they realized they had no idea who I was, and asked me to leave. So... no job for Jessie. I'm definitely a job snob. This is because, in the past, I've had wonderful excellent jobs, so I set high standards, and I want to enjoy wherever I find myself working. I walked home wondering if I was a total idiot, or doomed to be poor the rest of my life, and then realized two things: A) I am WAY too hard on myself. I'm not an idiot, and yes, that was a perfectly useless exploit, but one that'll make a funny story in the long run, and B) the significance of that job fair will vanish in not too long at all. I made a better memory from what I did, and I recognized that I have high integrity about what and where I'll work for. This is good. Even better, I took a really awesome picture of this really happy looking tree stump while walking home. The sun was out, the colors were gorgeous, the light was perfect, and the weather was fresh. I got some fantastic photos. That may have made it worth it in the end.

*For the record, I wouldn't do something as stupid like that without a "plan B"... later that night I had a phone interview for a neat summer job I applied for back in January, that finally contacted me! And they liked me a lot! Yay! And I got rid of my resumes by dropping them off at places that I would ENJOY working later that afternoon. I am going to be fine, this I am confident in.

0 comments: