BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Ends and Beginnings

This morning in class I filled out my first course evaluation forms. This means the semester is almost over. Which it is. In two weeks, classes will be done, exams will begin, and... *hopefully* I'll have a clearer idea of where I'm living and what I'm doing this summer. At the moment I feel like a fisherman, and I've cast out all these lines, and I'm waiting for something to bite back.

Tomorrow morning, I have a photoshoot with a pregnancy center. I can't begin to express my excitement in this! Things are coming together. My dreams are turning into realities. I bought a camera about a month ago. It was a decision I had been sitting on and contemplating for a long time. I didn't just want to buy a camera for a selfish reason though. See, Canon and Nikon had a very good idea of making the digital SLR camera extremely marketable, so that anybody who had about $1000 could buy for themselves everything they needed to get started in photography. They even stuck an auto function on their SLR's. So it's very easy to find "photographers" these days. Anybody who has a bit of money can do it. So, I wanted to do something different. Anybody can take macro shots of flowers. So I bought the camera with the thought that I can impart something truly good to people. A portrait is something somebody will keep for years, maybe their entire life. But portraits are expensive. So I started contacting pregnancy centers and other places (with the help of my friends at EBC who do field eds at such places!) and offering to do free portraits. And I have my first one tomorrow. I'm really excited, but also nervous. By no stretch of the imagination am I a professional portrait photographer. I've never even done this before! I've been practicing, and doing research (haha, looking at photography websites) and I have ideas. Tomorrow will tell. I really can't wait.

My friend Becca also posted a really beautiful post recently. It was relevant to me, and I really appreciated reading it. Check it out: http://beccamoon.blogspot.com/2010/03/love-woman.html

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey I know what you mean about everyone can be a "photographer" these days. To me it seems to be the new fad, the in thing. I see these kids at the car show in Toronto with these Nikon SLR's and it seems to ruin the niche that they once held. Anyways, its cool what you're doing with yours :)