BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, August 16, 2009

Influence.

The blog post that precedes this, I posted on Facebook. I'm not sure yet if this is a mistake or not.

Immediately upon posting, it elicited a flood of comments from friends: at first, a pile of positive comments agreeing with me, but then after that, a comment that attempted to reword my original post (at the same time passing harsh judgment on the girl I mentioned in my blog, whom the person commenting knew), and then blatant disagreement, followed by a text message from a friend who's disappointed in me, and another person messaging me asking me if I think that EBC is a bad place, because I had mentioned the school in my post. Then someone encouraging me to look into Buddhism, surprisingly enough...

Now I'm at an interesting point. One friend that I work with immediately messaged me and told me to put a filter on my public notes, because I work at a youth group with kids, and I had to remember the nature of influence, and how powerful it is, and how easily one's words can be misinterpreted, and how easily kids can manipulate the intended message and come to wrong conclusions. There was an individual I knew who was working with a youth group and thus in a very influential position in many young people's lives. This person made a personal decision that had the potential to sever that influence, but then the person made the mistake of publicly posting pictures on Facebook that... (to word it nicely) suggested things that those young people should not do, immediately either severing the influence, and/or having a negative and harmful affect upon that influence.

I didn't intend to post controversy (well, I wanted to be a bit controversial, yes...), or anything that warrants a filter having to be placed so that impressionable people won't get a negative impression. I'm tempted to delete the note, but at the same time, I feel that I have a need to stand with my convictions. That particular note took almost a month to compose, and I read over it multiple times when I posted. I was expecting disagreement, and a degree of misinterpretation, because that's the nature of these things, but not to this degree...

With this in mind, I do not know if I should delete the post, or keep it up. If I should be more mindful of my influence (which I'd like to think I keep an eye on on a consistent basis, whether through the way I dress, things I say, and my actions, etc.) or if I'm in a safe place with this post. I also wonder to what degree I owe my writing, if I leave it up to the misinterpreted scrutiny of the world, or if I take it down, refashion it, maybe sugarcoat my words, and post it up so people will like it better. But then I look at the people who applauded my post, and many of those people are influential people in my life, who's opinion I highly value. In the same breath the people who were critical are also influential people.

I have a feeling though, that for my convictions, for what I want to do and challenge, this is an opposition I will have to get used to facing. Better sooner than later I guess, however, I do NOT NOT NOT like it when people misinterpret my thoughts.

I resolved it by placing a disclaimer on the end of my post. But I still don't know if what I did was right, or if I should still take the safe route and delete it.

5 comments:

Joed Dominique said...

You owe no apologies whatsoever for what you posted. We been so concerned about what "church" is the "true" or "best" church that we've forgotten what we are here to do as the One and only Church of Jesus the Christ...we're human, we don't agree on everything, but we should not disagree when it comes to our responsibility as the Church (which was meant to be in unity). I applaud your post. I hope you keep doing what you know is true Christianity, keep waking slumbering Christians, but I sure you won't throw away the baby with the bath water. As Christians we know what we need to do, and we can't let people who are passive define Christianity. What you did was, in my opinion, in defence of was Christianity is meant to be. We should talk more often btw.

Jessie said...

Thank you so much Joed!!!

It's refreshing to hear this after a day of disappointments from all those responses.

It's also refreshing to be reminded of my calling in life... to restore unity in the church. :) Thank you for reminding me.

The Hippie Moose said...

Since when is posting your true thoughts and struggles a bad thing? Is it not better for these youth to see a true follower of Jesus working out her faith in a real way? It's this kind of thinking that makes youth act one way at church and a different way out in culture. I think your posting bridges the gap... not tears down the bridge. Much love to you.

The Hippie Moose said...

The answer is simple - its the difference between wearing your cross (around your neck), or carrying your cross (on your shoulders)...the North American is so "into" the benefits of Christianity (the religion) that we have forgotten about the struggles and persecution of the faith.

We are willing to wear the "branding" (putting the Christian fish on our car, the cross on our necklace, and the WWJD bracelet on our wrist) of Christianity without doing the work and truly faithful acts of living "the faith", or walking "the Way".

I have so much to say about this...you didn't do the wrong thing Jessie. Kids respect questions, thought, authenticity, and they know struggle (more pastors need to remember what its actually like being a teenager)...if they can struggle with the very real pressure to do drugs that never existed when I was a kid they can understand someone's frustration in a religion that is more often than not "represented" and not walked...in the end they will follow you more for having the courage to live, talk, think, act honestly and FAITHFULLY.

You are not stealing their faith with these comments you are not rebellious or setting a bad example - beleive it on not if your youth group struggles with these topics they will be forced to deal with it in University -what is better to engage the conversation when you have the influence to help them facilitate an answer or let them leave the youthgroup - go to university have their faith stolen from them? Bless you Jessie!!

Thomas Krol said...

Jessie, you are such an incredible person, and I feel honoured to know you! After I saw this post, I went on Facebook to find and read this post. To be honest, I don't know if I would have the courage to post something like that. For that, I applaud your courage.

I may be wrong in saying this, and it may not be what you want to hear, but I think that your feelings were placed in your heart by Christ. I think you have some very serious and heavy discernment, and when you find God's call for you, you need to go out and do it to the best of your ability.

It won't be easy; it never is. If God's calls were easy, then getting to Heaven wouldn't seem worth it. But it's good that it won't be easy. That will be the challenge you've been longing for all this time!

God bless you!